Friday, June 21, 2013

Morning Glory muffins




You must excuse the picture. That sub-par photography is courtesy of my husband, who failed to capture the GLORY that is these muffins. (He was too busy scarfing them down to really pay attention to what the camera was doing.) And he thinks this muffin has a weird name. I'm not really sure why, because eating one (or three) of these for breakfast is the easiest way I know of making your morning glorious.

The three vegetables in these muffins make it seem like you are biting into a rainbow - and they are healthy too! So what are you waiting for? Go bake yourself some glory.


Morning Glory Muffins
adapted from King Arthur Flour via Pam McKinstry

1/2 cup raisins
2 cups flour (a combo of white, wheat and spelt)
2/3 cup brown or white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda*
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups grated carrot and yellow & green zucchini
1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
3 large eggs
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup orange juice


Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line it with muffin papers.

In a small bowl, cover the raisins with hot water, and set them aside to soak.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt. Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, nuts, and sunflower seeds.

In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and orange juice. Make a well in the flour mixture, then dump in the wet ingredients and stir until evenly moistened. Then drain the raisins and stir them in.

Divide the batter among the wells of the prepared pan (they'll be full almost to the top; that's OK). Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes, until they're nicely domed and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Yield: about 16 muffins.


*I used 1 teaspoon. I have a theory about baking soda... since baking in England I have found that my American recipes turn out much better when I halve the baking soda. I'm pretty sure this is because baking soda comes in teeny tiny little jars here that I use up in two months' time. At home, I have a ginarmous container of Arm and Hammer that lasts months. I think American recipes use too much baking soda to compensate for said baking soda's inefficiency. (It's inefficiency increases the longer the container has been opened.) Just a theory, but I'd use 1 teaspoon if you're using fresh baking soda, and 2 if yours has been open for several months. (And I'd throw it out and buy a new one if its been opened longer than 6 months.)

No comments:

Post a Comment