Friday, June 21, 2013

Sweet Zucchini Pancakes

My husband always complains that I make extravagant breakfasts. Why can't we just have cereal? he whines. Well, perhaps some might call him crazy, but I do understand his woes. I would HATE to wake up every morning to a fresh cooked delicious hot breakfast to which I contributed nothing! He has a tough life.

But the truth is, I hate cereal. Perhaps he should blame my mother (bless her) who cooked me a hot breakfast every morning before the school run. Usually chocolate-chip pancakes, with a side of bananas & nutella. (I kid you not. I had a tough childhood.) Clearly, her traditions have been passed on.

These are one breakfast that my husband particularly likes to complain about because he says he doesn't like having veggies in the morning. I think after the fifth batch I've finally made a convert of him. But even if not I won't stop making them. I LOVE them, and so does our toddler! You win some, you lose some, but when you have a win that involves a toddler eating green things before 8am then you take that win and you TREASURE it.


 

Sweet Zucchini Pancakes
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Sometimes I have to throw these puppies in the oven to cook through all the way, and sometimes I win the batter thickness to pan heat lottery and come out with perfectly cooked through and perfectly toasty brown pancakes. Preheat the oven just to be on the safe side.

Shredded zucchini freezes really well so if you find yourself with extra, throw it in the freezer to use for another batch another morning.

2 cups all-purpose or white spelt flour1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
6 tablespoons sugar
3-4 cups shredded zucchini
4 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (or 4 tablespoons plain yogurt mixed with 4 tablespoons of whole milk)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together wet ingredients (minus the zucchini) in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until just combined. Stir in the zucchini. Batter will be thick and seem to consist mostly of zucchini!

Heat a fry pan on medium heat, and add some butter. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls and flatten them out a bit with the back of a spoon. Flip when bubbles appear on the surface, then cook for the same amount of time on the other side. Pop them in the warm oven to keep warm. If they are not cooked through (sometimes this happens because this batter is extra thick), then keep in the oven until they are completely cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment