Saturday, January 11, 2020

Coconut Chocolate Yogurt Cake (Gluten Free)





































There's a trend that's gaining traction this "Resolution" season that I both admire and cannot do. And that is Dry January. It's not that I'm not all for taking a month break from alcohol. It's just.... in January?? We are talking about the coldest, darkest, most dreary month of the entire year. And you want me to stop drinking? I really don't think so. January is too damn dark and cold to be sober for. (Instead, I'm all in for a Sober October!)

However, I have read some convincing news outlet pieces about the benefits of not drinking so I will try to cut back - a bit - this month. In one rather odd essay I read in a national parenting magazine, an author advocated for smoking weed in order to help cut back on drinking. (I kid you not.) In the vein of that very alarming logic, I'll advocate for my own advice to help you drink less..... Eat cake!!!!



To help you with your resolutions, here is a glorious healthy-ish cake that you can savor instead of your second glass of pinot. There's yogurt in it too... so obviously it's healthy. 

I concocted this recipe back in 2018 when I was newly gluten-free. I cannot remember which original recipe it was based upon, although I'm fairly certain it was a french-american blogger who used wheat flour and melted butter. You can easily make this dairy-free by using a coconut yogurt or a nut-milk yogurt, just make sure you use one without sugar. This cake is best eaten the day it is made. It is great with afternoon tea! (Is anyone doing a caffeine-free January? Now that is one thing I definitely could NOT do.)






Coconut Chocolate Yogurt Cake (Gluten Free)

Make sure all your ingredients, including the yogurt and the eggs, are at room temperature before you begin. To measure out the coconut oil, place glass jar of oil in the microwave until it is melted, and then measure out 1/3 cup of the melted oil. Of course, if you live in very warm place, your jar of coconut oil will already be melted from the get-go.... lucky you.

1 cup (98 g) almond meal flour
1 cup (152 g) buckwheat flour
1/3 cup (38 g) dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (226 g) whole-milk plain yogurt
3/4 cup (165 g) sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup (118 g) unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8-inch or 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment, or use a reusable silicone liner. Grease the parchment or liner.

Whisk dry ingredients (minus sugar) together in one large bowl. Whisk wet ingredients (and sugar) together in another medium bowl. Dump wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together until completely blended.

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs. Let cool in pan on a rack for ten minutes before carefully inverting onto a cake stand or plate. Frost with coconut whipped cream or simply sift confectioner's sugar on top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment